Tuesday, November 18, 2008

Life is Supposed To Go On...

...but it doesn't. It stands still, and you go numb, and it makes no sense. It physically hits you like a ton bricks and emotionally it feels like your heart has been torn out. Nothing else matters except for that person crying on your shoulder. As tears fall on my keyboard, there's a lump growing in my throat that hasn't gone away since we received unpleasant news yesterday.

I think it was around minute #8 on the treadmill this morning when I realized that I wasn't sweating. What I felt on my cheeks were tears. I truly believe that strength comes from emotion and fear is controlled through that strength. I've learned that valuable lesson many years ago, and it's made me a better person.

I think it was around 7:10 am that I realized I had just gone through an entire workout without feeling anything. I wasn't into it, I wasn't aware of my surroundings, and the person I saw in the mirror was hurting more and more as the morning went on. I had to leave early, I had to sit in my truck, alone in a parking lot, to let my emotions escape their trap. I thought it would set me free, and I thought it would instantly heal me from the inside out.

But, it doesn't. I need to let the healing begin, I wish it would begin, I can't make it begin, and it doesn't seem fair. I realize that I'm not alone. I've never been alone, and I shouldn't feel like I'm alone. I don't understand Why this happened, and I don't need to understand Why right now. I just need to be there for her. Everything else is a distant 2nd place.

The only priority for me is to take the pain away from her. I want to bear the burden of pain for both of us. I can't stand to look in her eyes and realize that she's going through the same thing as me. I want to save her from it, I want to shield her, I want to carry the weight of the world on my shoulders, and it's impossible for me to reach the realization that I can't do that.

I know deep down, through all the struggles and agony, that all hope is not lost. It can't be taken away from us. We've come too far to give up now. We can't be stopped in our pursuit. We can and will hit bumps along the way and we can handle it once bump at a time. We will add to our family someday, I just can't tell you when, and it doesn't matter when. I want you to realize that we've already found completeness in each other.

The calls and emails continue to pour in for us. Our giant support network of family and friends offer up condolences. "I'm sorry" is the only thing that can be said. I understand that. There are no words that can express how deeply hurtful this experience is. But, we do the best we can, and I want you to know that we are grateful for each and every one of you. We are truly blessed, and I feel lucky to be sharing my life with you.

7 comments:

Greg said...

Rich, lots of love and prayers to you and Andrea from Jenny and I.

Shannon said...

Josh and I are thinking about the two of you...

WindBreak247 said...

The priveledge is all ours, Mr. K. You and Andrea contribute your energy, spirit, and love of life 100% to anyone and everyone you encounter 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. This is our opportunity to return that favor while you commit that same level of devotion to the emotions you have to feel today.

All the best to both of you. Anything you need, just pop that goofy face of yours up on my phone and I'll make it so.

dreak said...

I have never been so proud of you!Thank you for sharing your thoughts, and emotions with people who love us.
You truly are the most amazing man I have ever known, and I love you more than I ever knew possible!
I am honored, and proud to be Mrs. Richard Kneifl!

Cheer Crew said...

May the completeness you feel with Andrea guide you in your journey to find comfort and healing. We are so blessed to have you in our lives. We are so grateful to call you family. We are so proud to call you Brother and Uncle. With love Brigett and Tyler.

dmw said...

Strength,courage and hope to you both. Love and friendship, Mike and Dawn Marie

dmw said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.