Saturday, April 28, 2007

New Seat

We have a motocycle trip coming up in May, and I felt it was time to upgrade my seat. If you know anything about motorcycles, then you know the best name in seats is Corbin. So, that's where I started. Scouring their website and ebay and all the authorized dealers I could find. I was fully prepared to spend the $1000 for a new one, then a gift was dropped in my lap.

I decided to post a message at my triumph message board to see if there were any new/slightly used ones lingering around that someone wanted to sell. There was, and it just happened to be red, and it came in the mail yesterday. It was a nice $600 savings, which the ol' bank account appreciates. What I didn't know was that the seat would be comfortable AND cool.

Here's my stock seat:


Here's my Corbin Rumble seat with color matched fiberglass:


Here's the flip up backrest in the "up" position:


Here's a view from the back:

I think it gives it a nice new look, with the stitching in the seat and the deepness of the seating position. Not to mention, it's one of the most comfortable seats on the market. My major complaint about putting a backrest on my bike was that it would ruin the look of the bike, and interupt the smooth lines from front to back. So, with this seat, you're just one wrist flick away from having a backrest to not having a backrest. Should make the trip that much more enjoyable.

Question: Does anyone know why they call it a Rumble Seat?

Answer: It's actually a Hot Rod term. Older cars used to have a Rumble Seat in them that would flip up around the trunk area. Corbin decided to steal that term when they made this seat.

No comments: